WATER, SANITATION & HYGIENE
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) are three of the basic necessities of life. Safe drinking water is especially critical for those who are the most vulnerable to water-borne diseases. Unfortunately, in Pakistan most of the water sources are contaminated and there is no proper mechanism exits whereby poor people could get clean water (both biologically and chemically treated). According to another report in Pakistan, one-quarter of all people attending hospitals are ill from water borne diseases as a result of poor sanitation and lack of safe drinking water facilities. Countries providing clean water and sanitation greatly reduce child mortality.
To contribute to the Millennium Development Goal for health, HIN’s objective for WASH is;
“To strive for good health for vulnerable people in community, especially the children; women; and elderly with the provision of safe drinking water and good sanitation and hygienic practices”.
HIN works in impoverished areas to provide potable water and adequate sanitation to decrease water borne diseases, improve health, and lessen the burden on women and children by reducing the distance to water collection points. HIN’s Water, Sanitation & Hygiene projects help communities to obtain adequate supplies of safe drinking g water and sanitation facilities by construction of water supply schemes, installation & re-habilitation of communal hand pumps and tube wells, re-construction/construction of household latrines etc.
HIN also initiated hygiene education for children, women and adults through Hygiene Awareness Sessions followed by distribution of Hygiene Kits. Furthermore, Installation of Hand Washing & Bathing Places is also part of the program.
- 147 Water Supply Schemes (Gravity flow, Hand pumps and tube wells) constructed for safe and clean drinking water
- 2,734 household latrines constructed to facilitate the vulnerable segment of the society
- 10,164 Hygiene Kits distributed among affected community
- 50 Hygiene awareness campaigns (Seminar/Melas/Interactive Theatre/Sessions) launched in 03 districts to educate 150,000 individuals
- 40,000 Children (25000 boys and 15000 Girls) in 946 Government School oriented on Hygiene Promotion